Job Description: Organizational Health Director
The Bus Federation seeks an Organizational Health Director to work with our national staff, boards of directors, and an expanding state affiliate network to oversee all affiliate capacity building for the network, and manage national fundraising efforts. The right applicant will have experience as an Executive Director, Deputy Director, or senior board member within the Bus Federation network, or have comparable experience in a national grassroots network. This position plays an integral role in organizational strategic planning, board member management, financial analysis, and affiliate support.
Affiliate Capacity Building – 75%
- Oversee development, training, and evaluation systems for all aspects of affiliate capacity building, including but not limited to fundraising, operations, financial management, staff and board management, programmatic work, and managing transitions.
- Manage the Affiliate Capacity Taskforce to assist with Capacity Building plans, work, and evaluation.
- Conduct affiliate capacity needs assessment and develop and deliver capacity building plans.
- Develop organizational health resources, including trainings, coaching opportunities, and resource libraries for affiliate staff and boards.
- Manage network conferences, convenings, and trainings.
- Facilitate peer learning opportunities across the network in multiple disciplines.
- Assist Executive Director with management of the network-wide Executive Director committee.
- Assist national issue campaigns, particularly as it relates to campaign planning and implementation on the local/state level.
Development – 25%
- Work with the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Fundraising Taskforce to develop and implement the organization’s annual fundraising plan, with an anticipated 2016 budget of $2.8million.
- Manage day to day fundraising efforts, including grant writing and reporting, board fundraising, donor communication, and production of educational materials.
- Develop fundraising strategies for national issue campaign work and national program corporate sponsorships.
- Align national fund development work with Affiliate fundraising efforts to ensure transparency, clear communication, and strong donor relationships.
Strong applicants will have the following experience/skills:
- Proven track record building and sustaining civic engagement and/or social justice organizations.
- Experience as an Executive Director, Deputy Director, or senior level board member within the Bus Federation network, or comparable experience in a national grassroots network.
- Significant financial management experience, including financial analysis, financial controls, and budget development.
- Proven track record developing and successfully implementing fundraising plans.
- Experience managing board/staff fundraising efforts.
- Systems builder with an eye for detail and organization.
- Natural team builder; respectful and respected leader.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to grassroots democracy and social justice.
- Experience working in diverse communities and on diverse teams of staff or volunteers, including people of color; LGBTQ, immigrant, and low-income communities; and with individuals with disabilities.
Relevant Software & Tools:
- Google Apps
- Pages, Numbers, & Keynote
- VAN, NGP, Action Network, basic HTML
The Organizational Health Director will report to the Deputy Director, will support two national taskforces, and could provide day-to-day supervision to additional staff in 2016. This is a full-time exempt position.
Location: Preference for Portland, OR or in a current Bus Federation full affiliate location (Denver, Seattle, Missoula, or Chicago). We’ll consider other remote office possibilities for the right candidate.
Travel: The position requires occasional travel, averaging 1-2 trips per month, to affiliate locations, and for development purposes.
Compensation: Salary will be in the range of $50,000 – $70,000 and is based on experience. The Bus Federation offers a benefits package worth roughly $8,000 annually and includes health and dental insurance, retirement contribution (SEP IRA), cell phone reimbursement, professional development, and generous PTO.
About the Bus Federation
The Bus Federation fuels a locally-led movement for next-generation hands-on democracy. Our network of affiliates engages young voters, trains new leaders, and advances policy for the good of our generation. But we’re not just a network. We’ve also grown into one of the premier collaborative organizing hubs through programs like National Voter Registration Day and the Great American Voter Guide.
The Bus Federation Civic Fund is a 501(c)(3) educational charity based in Portland, OR and is responsible for some of the largest civic engagement programs in the country, both through our Affiliates and through national programs like National Voter Registration Day. The Bus Federation Action Fund is a social welfare organization developing new leaders with the policy, engagement, and political skills needed to transform their neighborhoods, campuses, cities, and states.
If You’re Interested
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 30th, 2015.
The Bus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.