Job Description: National Campaigns Director
The Bus Federation seeks a National Campaigns Director to work with our national staff, boards of directors, and an expanding state affiliate network to coordinate national issue campaigns; bottom-line strategy, vision, and partnerships for National Voter Registration Day; and oversee all aspects of our newest national program – the Great American Voter Guide. The right applicant will have experience managing sizable program work, including developing and implementing strategy and working with broad sets of stakeholders. Director level positions at the Bus Federation are responsible for supporting the entire organization, including strategic planning, staff management, affiliate support, and financial analysis.
The position includes the following responsibilities:
Network-Wide Issue Campaigns
- Partner with affiliate staff to frame national vision and maintain coherence for multi-state issue campaigns on economic justice, climate, police accountability, and other joint campaigns.
- Assist Program Director with incubating new affiliate organizations, particularly as it relates to issue campaign planning and implementation.
- Support campaign outreach to funders, media, and partner groups.
National Voter Registration Day
- Develop and communicate the vision and strategy for National Voter Registration Day, including strategic planning, budgeting, and evaluation of the program.
- Manage brand and major nonprofit partnerships.
- Solicit, manage, and oversee contracts to manage communications, web and digital, partner outreach, language translations, and legal support.
- Provide day-to-day supervision and work collaboratively with the National Programs Manager.
Great American Voter Guide
- Oversee and bottom-line all aspects of the print and digital voter guide project in collaboration with the Program Director.
- Partner with national and affiliate staff to develop strategic vision of the program.
- Recruit and support voter guide partners, to be limited in scope in 2015 but likely upwards of 100 partners in 2016.
Strong applicants will have the following experience/skills:
- Proven track record developing and implementing civic engagement and/or social justice campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience working in state-based coalitions, organizations, or campaigns.
- Experience working in diverse communities and on diverse teams of staff or volunteers, including people of color; LGBTQ, immigrant, and low-income communities; and with individuals with disabilities.
- Strong project management skills.
- Natural team builder; respectful and respected leader.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- High level of confidence and friendliness.
- Capable of trusting young and inexperienced people with significant responsibility.
- Commitment to grassroots democracy and social justice.
Relevant Software & Tools:
- Google Apps
- Pages, Numbers, & Keynote
- VAN, NGP, Action Network, basic HTML
The National Campaigns Director will report to the Deputy Director and provide day-to-day supervision to the National Programs Manager and additional field staff in 2016. This is a full-time exempt position.
Location: Preference for Portland, OR or in a current Bus Federation affiliate location (Denver, Seattle, Missoula, Columbus, San Antonio, or Chicago). We’ll consider other remote office possibilities for the right candidate.
Travel: The position requires occasional travel, averaging 1-2 trips per month, to affiliate locations, and for partner/coalition purposes.
Compensation: Salary will be in the range of $45,000 – $65,000 and is based on experience. The Bus Federation offers a benefits package worth roughly $7,000 annually and includes health insurance, retirement contribution (SEP IRA), cell phone reimbursement, professional development, and generous PTO.
About the Bus Federation
The Bus Federation fuels a locally-led movement for next-generation hands-on democracy. Our network of affiliates engages young voters, trains new leaders, and advances policy for the good of our generation. But we’re not just a network. We’ve also grown into one of the premier collaborative organizing hubs through programs like National Voter Registration Day and the Great American Voter Guide Project.
The Bus Federation Civic Fund is a 501(c)(3) educational charity based in Portland, OR and is responsible for some of the largest civic engagement programs in the country, both through our Affiliates and through national programs like National Voter Registration Day. The Bus Federation Action Fund is a social welfare organization developing new leaders with the policy, engagement, and political skills needed to transform their neighborhoods, campuses, cities, and states.
If You’re Interested
Submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com by May 20th, 2015. Preference given to applications received by May 13th.
The Bus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.