The Bus is hiring a National Programs Manager. You should totally do it.
The Bus Federation Civic Fund seeks an awesome individual to oversee the Bus’s work for National Voter Registration Day, Trick or Vote, and Fair Elections Pledge programs and generally engage with the Bus’s other partner-driven work. National Voter Registration Day and Trick or Vote engaged over 1,000 partners across the country in 2012, in the process registering over 300,000 eligible Americans and knocking on nearly 100,000 doors. The Fair Elections Pledge is a new national program to empower local organizers to protect community access to the ballot through engaging local election administrators.
The Bus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.
This individual will be responsible for:
- Overseeing day-to-day work of National Voter Registration Day and Trick or Vote, including broad discretion in programmatic budgetary decisions.
- Working in partnership with the Program Director to execute the Fair Elections Pledge campaign, navigating national partner relationships and engaging election administrators.
- Working with a nonpartisan network of dozens of national organizations and hundreds (if not thousands) of state and local organizations to develop plans, ensure voter registration cards are returned to the proper election offices, and capture data to allow for voter mobilization.
- Handling logistics around design, printing, and distribution of local print materials, plus ensure reporting of accurate field metrics.
- Supervising additional staff or interns working on these projects as necessary.
- Maintaining clean and accurate data in the Salesforce install used to manage both projects; and
- Reporting regularly on the status of both projects to other staff, the board of directors, and possibly to funders.
- Additionally, this individual may be responsible for some cultural and marketing partnership work.
This is a position of significant leadership and may require other duties as necessary in a small organization.
Who You Are:
Strong applicants will be:
- Talented and culturally competent organizers.
- Friendly and confident.
- Familiar with 501(c)(3) constraints
- Experienced in volunteer or staff management.
- Comfortable (even giddy) engaging in diverse coalitions
- Committed to grassroots democracy.
Relevant Software & Tools:
- Salesforce, Google Apps, and HTML
- Pages, Numbers, & Keynote
- Staplers, Paperclips, Sticky Notes, White Boards, Markers, and Pens;
Strong applicants need not have years and years of experience. The Bus specializes in launching extraordinary new talents in movement organizing, so we’d rather you be awesome than anything else (although experience never hurts, of course).
About this position:
The National Programs Manager will report to to the Program Director. She, he, or ze will oversee other staff, interns, vendors, and partners from time-to-time. The position is a full-time exempt position. Salary is $28k – $35k per year, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, SEP IRA, cell phone reimbursement, and a youthful workplace culture that feels roughly one part campaign, one part tech startup, one part inflatable bouncy castle.
We hold a strong preference for this position to be based out of our home office in Portland, OR (though exceptions are theoretically possible for extraordinary candidates).
For those unfamiliar with what it’s like to live and work in Portland, this city is pretty great, with a cost of living 23%-33% lower than DC or NY.
This position will ideally start immediately, with interviews on a rolling basis and will remain open until filled.
Send a resume, three references, and a cover letter that shows some personality to email@example.com.
About the Projects and the Bus Federation Civic Fund:
The Bus Federation Civic Fund fuels a locally-led movement for next-generation, hands-on democracy. Our innovative network of state affiliates engages young voters, trains new leaders, and advances progressive policy. We currently have affiliates in different stages of development in Colorado, Illinois, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, and Washington, and help coordinate national efforts like National Voter Registration Day and Trick or Vote. We’re big believers in fun, democracy, and the building of big tents. Be ready to lend a hand to field work and wear costumes for work occasionally.
In 2012, the nation’s first National Voter Registration Day brought together over 1,000 organizations across the country to make sure no eligible voter was left out because of registrations. The once-per-year event aims to provide a non-partisan reminder of the need to register (and re-register) to vote in the United States. The working group organizing National Voter Registration Day is comprised of APALA Education Fund, the Bus Federation Civic Fund, the Fair Elections Legal Network, the League of Women Voters, Nonprofit Vote, and Voto Latino. National Voter Registration Day 2013 saw a growth in field partnership and showed that voter registration can and should be done year round, regardless of who’s on the ballot.
Trick or Vote is the nation’s largest collaborative Get Out the Vote event. Reaching over 160,000 households in 2010, Trick or Vote harnesses the power of face-to-face outreach by mobilizing costumed volunteers door-to-door on Halloween. Social science experiments have shown Trick or Vote events highly effective at mobilizing new volunteers and voters.
We run these programs every year, regardless of national elections, because we truly believe that every vote, every election, every year is important.
In case you want a PDF of this job description for some inexplicable reason, here it is: National Programs Manager Job Description